The idea of the humourless feminist is an incredibly potent and effective silencer. It is used to isolate and alienate young girls; to ridicule and dismiss older women, to force women in the workplace to ‘join in the joke’ and, in the media, to castigate protest to the point of obliteration.
How the 'He's adopted' line should have gone
- Natasha: He killed 80 people in two days.
- Thor: I stormed into Jottunheim intent on starting a war and killed dozens of frost giants in under an hour.
- Bruce: ....I'm pretty sure the other guy's killed over a hundred in less time...
- Tony: I created bombs designed to kill hundreds in seconds, and was proud of it.
- Natasha: *looks down* Admittedly, the red in my ledger is pretty horrible, too...
- Steve: ...well, this is awkward.